Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Blu-ray is king

The war is over! All hail the king! The king of all HD DVDs; the Blu-ray!

That's right, the HD DVD war is all but over as the Blu-ray, the high-definition format that Sony Corp. backed, has beaten Toshiba Corp's HD DVD as the new format for future DVDs. The HD DVDs are clearer, has better sound...but I have to ask this; is it really worth it?

Most DVD players now cannot play HD DVDs, so in order to see your movie in HD DVD, you have to go buy a new DVD player which can play HD DVD. Does anyone see that happening? No one is going out and buy a Blu-ray DVD player because you need to pay around $400-$800 more just for the new DVD player. Is the clearer sound and picture worth the extra cost? Considering that normal DVDs are out-selling HD DVDs 20 to 1, you have your answer. I totally agree with this as why should I want to pay an extra say $500 just to see a movie with clearer picture. Normal DVDs are good enough and if I want something better I can go to the cinema. Unless Sony add on some features consumers really want, I can't see why Blu-ray will outsell normal DVDs.

No comments: