Thursday, January 3, 2008

Laugh or Cry?

The world is a funny place. So funny that sometimes you read about certain stuff and you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

That's my reaction when I read that the Sri Lanka's government decided to annul a ceasefire agreement with the Tamil Tigers. I mean for the past 6-12 months, the Sri Lankan government has been boasting about great success in the war againest the Tigers, about how many rebels they had killed, and they cancel the ceasefire NOW!

Is this a joke? You mean the ceasefire was in effect for the past year? Hasn't Sri Lanka been buoyed by battlefield "successes" recently? How can you have battlefield success if there is a ceasefire in place?

I'm amazed that anyone in Sri Lanka is still even talking about the ceasefire agreement of 2002 (which was put in place by the previous Sri Lankan government I might add). Should I laugh or cry?

No comments: