Friday, June 6, 2008

Comics this week

Trinity #1- Yes I know. I said I wasn't going to touch this weekly series after the horror of Countdown, but what can I say. I'm a fan of KurtBusiek. On his name alone, I will give this a try. Of course, follow writer Fabian Nicieza and artist Mark Bagley are both plus as well. First off, I'm not too sure about the new format. This issue is split into 2, with 15 pages on the main feature and another 15 on the back-up story. Most people will pick this up due to the trinity of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. I'm not too sure about having a back-up story for 52 issues. It just might not work.
The story itself is off to a good start. Outside an unnecessary cameo by the Flash and his kids, the story was well set-up. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman all have the same dreams and decide to have a chat about this. The scene was well-done. You can clearly see that these are 3 characters who despite their different personalities, can work well together. The backup story featuring Morgaine Le Fey and Enigma didn't do quite as well. They seems to be set-up as the main villains of the story, but Morgaine Le Fey and Enigma pale in comparisons to the Trinity. That's a problem Busiek and Nicieza have to solve quickly. I mean the Trinity are 3 of the most powerful heroes in the DCU, how many bad guys could stand up to these 3 in a group? Not too many I afraid.
A good start, but after the horror of Countdown, Busiek will have to do more to get me to collect all 52 of the series.

Secret Invasion #3- I just knew this was going to happen. Big hints this issue that Tony Stark is a Skrull. I must say this continuing "mystery" surrounding key characters like Iron Man and Captain America is without doubt the most boring part of this series. Is Iron Man a Skrull? Is the dead Captain America a Skrull as well? He didn't turn green when he died, did he? Hello, we have a full invasion going on here. How about less time in the Savage Land and more time on the battlefield? The battle in New York City was without question what saved this issue. When green aliens arrived on Earth, the heroes response and the body count rises. That's an invasion. How about more of that?

Nova #14- I must say the Silver Surfer guest-star has been wasted. Nova is one of the best series in the stand, and frankly he do not need this 'guest-starring to boost sales' gimmick. Beyond a well-workout fight, this issue didn't really do anything for me. A nice but hardly great issue.

No comments: