Friday, June 20, 2008

Comics this week

Trinity #3- Hate to say this and I feel like a broken record, but the shadow of 52 covers all weekly. And I'm afraid to say Trinity paled in comparisons. I'm a fan of Kurt Busiek but I wonder why is the Justice League in this issue. I mean all they did was to show up and get their ass handed to them by the big, bad alien monster; and then to have the JLA fall to their knees thanking the heavens Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman has arrived. I'm okay with the Big Three coming to save the day but was it that necessary to have the JLA be as useless as that? I'm still having problems with the back-up story. This week shows Tarot, who I think is a new character, a psychic who is having problems with some local gang and may have some mystical ties to the Big Three. The problem is that I don't see the use of the back-up at all. After 12 pages of a big alien fight, we have 10 pages of a woman with some gang problems? That make no sense at all. Hope Trinity will get better

Guardians of Galaxy #2- Guardians of Galaxy is a funny series for me. I like Adam Warlock, Phyla-Vell, Drax, Gamora, even Groot; but the book is missing something. That's chemistry, or a lack of it. As the team is suppose to be a bunch of misfits put together by Star-Lord, I can understand part of it as the team is still trying to get use to one another, but I would like to know how the members feel about each other. Outside Cosmo and Rocket Raccoon can't stand each other, we don't really know or even have any interaction between the team members. Quasar cooking dinner for Drax was great, but I would like to have more of those scenes. I'm not too sure about using characters from the original Guardians of the Galaxy, but I'll hold my judgement on that for now. But I hope Captain Victory isn't going to play the Captain America role in this team, the team is big enough as it is. The last thing we need is another JSA.

No comments: