Friday, July 17, 2009

Comic this week

Blackest Night #1- Two years after the “The Sinestro Corps War”, Blackest Night is finally here. “The Sinestro Corps War” made Green Lantern one of the most successful series for DC and while I’m not really impressed with the idea of 7 different corps each representing one emotion, I will say Blackest Night is off to a great start. Although in theory this is a Green Lantern story, I can see why this series is a mini by itself. The scope of Blackest Night is huge. From Earth to Oa to the various space sectors, the newest corps makes their presence felt. However the issue is anchor by 2 pivotal scenes. The first is the talk between Barry Allen and Hal Jordan. I am one of those fans who firmly believe Barry Allen should NOT have return but for the first time since his return, Barry Allen was great. The showing of all the dead heroes and villains clearly show how long Barry was gone and how much he has to catch up on in the world. The second pivotal scene involves Hawkman and Hawkgirl. These 2 characters had been criminally underused by DC for a number of years now, so it was great for me that they played such a central role in Blackest Night. I love the fact that they both will get their own rings, and I don’t mean the black ones. I don’t usually say a lot about artwork but the art by Ivan Reis in this issue is especially good. The visuals in Blackest Night is superb and very detailed. The scene where all the dead Green Lantern first rises up is one of the best, most dramatic scenes I have seen in years. If Geoff Johns and Reis can keep this up, Blackest Night might be every bit as good as Sinestro Corps. Now that’s something to look forward to.

No comments: