Saturday, February 13, 2010

Comics this week

Hit-Monkey #1- Show of hands, how many of you thought with a title like Hit-Monkey, this is a comedy title? I sure did and boy was I surprised! Hit-Monkey is the origin story of a monkey assassin and his path of vengeance, death and destruction after the destruction of his monkey clan. The plot is ludicrous but writer Daniel Way takes a very serious tone with the book and for some reason that I don’t understand…it worked! I think a lot of the credit has to go to Dalibor Talajic. His artwork managed to convey the silly scenes of a monkey gunning soldiers without it being silly. I know this sound like a contradiction but it worked! And since S.W.O.R.D has been cancelled, I am in need of a quirky comic to replace that quirky comic. Hit-Monkey, the ongoing series anyone?

S.W.O.R.D #4- It was always an uphill task. I said it 2 issues ago, it has no big-name writer, no big-name artist and no big-name characters in it; so despite the brilliant work of writer Kieron Gillen, S.W.O.R.D has been cancelled with #5 the last issue. Sad but it has been a hell of a ride.

Secret Six #18 – Thank goodness it’s only 2 issues! With Secret Six #18, the Blackest Night tie-ins are over. Only 2 issues (3 if you add Suicide Squad #67) and the lackluster tie-in/crossover is over. Hopefully service will be back to normal next issue.

No comments: