Friday, May 21, 2010

Comics this week

Brightest Day #2- The spotlight shifts this issue from Aquaman and Mera to the Martian Manhunter. In a way, this was an origin story as Geoff Johns slightly tweak the Martian’s origin to give it a slightly more tragic feel. However the biggest things for me are the hints dropped on the returned characters. Both Aquaman and Firestorm seems to still have their undead powers and, especially for Firestorm, their undead personalities. To say I’m intrigued is an understatement and I’m eagerly awaiting the other characters not seem so far like Osiris.

X-Men Legacy #236- With the Blackbirds destroyed and their teleporters gone, Bastion make his move to end the X-Men. And make, and make, and make; I thought we had our set-up issue last week but it seems Marvel need to take our money for one more week. Outside a good character moment between Hope and Cable, there’s not much to say for this issue. (The shameless cameo by the Avengers do not count)

X-Factor #205- I’ll be honest. I’m a big Peter David fan. There are better writers in the industry but Peter David is in my view the most consistent. Even when he is thrown a loop on a crossover that has almost nothing to do with his regular series, he adapt and still managed to come up with a story that fits his series like a glove. X-Factor #205 again proved why he is the considered best current X-writer right now. The only problem I have is why they changed the name of Siryn to Banshee? Siryn is Siryn! Change it back!

No comments: