Friday, March 11, 2011

Comics this week

Batman Incorporated #3- I’m from Asia where comic books writers and artists crunch out comics on a WEEKLY schedule! So you can guess what I feel about some people who can’t even maintain a MONTHLY schedule. That said, #3 has Batman in Argentina trying to recruit another hero for his global network of superheroes. I always felt that writer Grant Morrison is slightly-over-rated but he has always been a courageous writer and he proved it again in this issue. Part of this issue is in Spanish which make sense as it was told from the point of view of the hero El Gaucho. Talk about being unconventional. I especially like the part where El Gaucho thinks that Batman was just “pretending” to be Bruce Wayne. He thought that Batman was in disguise which I thought was brilliant. I still have questions about the art by Yanick Paquette but overall this was a good issue. However if this team can’t maintain their schedule after just 2 issues, I don’t think this series will last.

X-23 #7- After a good opening story arc, I was looking forward to what else writer Marjorie Liu comes up with. Unfortunately, this issue was utterly forgettable. On their journey to Madripoor, Laura and Gambit lands in Singapore and has to help deal with pirates in the region. A simple rescue mission that goes wrong, X has to fight a shark along the way but even that was not enough to save this issue. Basically, nothing happens and after the strong opening arc, this was disappointing.

Heroes for Hire #4- Misty Knight begin breaking free from The Puppet Master and it was an interesting ride. Misty’s toughness was on full view as she fought against Puppet Master’s control but while it was not a bad issue from writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, it was also utterly predictable. Yes, even that last minute cameo from the Punisher. If this doesn’t improve quickly, I’m afraid this is one series I’ll drop after the story arc finish.

No comments: