Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Another DRM Rant!

PC gaming has a lot of ups and downs over the years with pirated games being fingered as the reason for most of the downs. A recent television program in Singapore alleged that 1 in 3 downloads in Singapore is illegal.

Now I’m not saying illegal downloads is not a big problem for the gaming industry but they have to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Simply put, some of the DRM systems that are on the games are turning gamers off.

Case in point is the internet connection needed to play Assassin Creed II. Now I played the original Assassin Creed and I thought it was a good game. However, I have no intention of going on the internet to play Assassin Creed II when Assassin Creed II is not a MMO.

So what happened? I didn’t buy Assassin Creed II. I didn’t play Assassin Creed II. And I also didn’t buy Assassin Creed II: Brotherhood, the sequel to Assassin Creed II. So that’s 2 games that I probably would have bought if not for the DRM.

How does this help the gaming industry? It doesn’t!

1 comment:

kittygoespotty said...

Thanks so much for the article, quite effective information.