Thursday, April 5, 2012

Comics this week

Green Lantern: The New Guardians #7- I said last issue that the new “villain” Invictus didn’t seem that interesting and writer Tony Bedard seem to understand this as well. Though the New Guardians are finally together, the meat of this issue is the history of Invictus. The powerful angel and his star-system/spaceship history with Agent Orange are explained and Bedard even managed to give Invictus some killer lines. Overall, this issue wasn’t great but it was enjoyable.

Justice League Dark #7- I was going to take a look at this series when the New 52 first came out, but #1 was sold out by the time I got to the comics shop so I never pick up the series. The crossover between Justice League Dark and I, Vampire gives me the perfect excuse to pick up an issue and see what it is about. Frankly, I always though the magic side of the DCU has been criminally ignored by the company. Between John Constantine and Tim Hunter, they have the 2 best magician characters in the world of comics but they never ran with it. Justice League Dark is a series in the right direction; now if only Tim Hunter join the team...

I, Vampire #7- Part 2 of the crossover with Justice League Dark have our ragtag team of vampire hunters knee deep in…well, vampires. Writer Joshua Hale Fialkov and artist Andrea Sorrentino gives the series an epic feel with the 'Rise of the Vampires' crossover but frankly it seem a little off to me. It’s well-written and well-drawn but the emergence of Cain due to the death of Bennett just seen too forced to me. It was never explained properly how no one, including it seems Bennett, knew about Cain. What saved the issue for me was seeing Mary kicking ass and taking heads (literally). Andrea Sorrentino truly did a great job there.

No comments: