Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Move The World Cup


In this past July, the average temperature in the Qatari capital, Doha, was 106 degrees Fahrenheit. Seeing this, various countries are now voicing their concern and their wish to move the 2022 World Cup from Qatar to another country. The Qatar 2022 supreme committee had hit back, maintaining that Qatar will be able to host the tournament in the summer.

My two cents worth? Move the World Cup to another country! 

Although I’m an Asian myself, the idea of Qatar hosting the World Cup idea has to be one of the stupidest I have ever known. Now, I’m all for the idea that each continent gets a fair chance to host the World Cup, but when FIFA announced that Qatar would host the 2022 World Cup, I thought it was one of the strangest decision I have ever read. Why would FIFA give the World Cup to a country that has never reached a World Cup before? Traditionally, the World Cup is only given to a country who had qualified for the tournament before. Qatar hadn’t. Not only that, it’s team is not even one of the top teams in Asia; their team would be destroyed in the competition.

What I didn’t know then was that the soaring summer temperature.

Now that I do, it’s just another nail in the coffin. For the players’ safety, the very idea of the World Cup; move the 2022 World Cup somewhere else in Asia. 

1 comment:

Ghost said...

Nothing new. Guess now they have to spend even more of it to solve the problem they created when they first let Qatar hold it.