Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Fickle Egyptians (Part 2)


Last month when the Egyptian military ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi in a military coup, I commented on the fickle nature of the Egyptian public. Some people commented that my view was wrong; one even said that I was oversimplifying things.

I stood by what I written then, and recent developments in Egypt has I’m afraid proved me right. The Egyptian people are fickle. I said this because there is no other explanation possible to the news that former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, the man ousted by the Egyptian public in 2011, is set to be released from prison within 2 days!

Frankly, ever since the military coup, you could see this coming. A military man himself, it’s no surprise that Mubarak has supporters in the military and that the Egyptian military leaders see him as one of their own. What’s surprising is the non-reaction of the Egyptian public to the news. President Morsi, the first freely elected president of Egypt, is now in prison, while the longtime dictator of the country is going to be released. The Egyptian public treated the news with barely a shrug of their shoulders.

2 years ago, Hosni Mubarak was the bad guy everyone came together against. Now he is being released by his people and no one in Egypt cared! The sense of absurdity in the air takes my breath away and I don’t whether to laugh or cry at what’s happening in Egypt. Good thing to come out of this; at least now no one can argue against my view that the Egyptian people are fickle. 

No comments: