Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Waterless Songkran


For those who do not know, Songkran is a festival made famous in Thailand because during the festival, everyone sprays water on everyone else. In Singapore, we celebrate Songkran by hosting a “Water Conservation and Water Heritage Exhibition”.

I’ll be honest. I have no idea Singapore had a “Celebrate Songkran 2014” festival planned and after hearing this news, I wish I had continued my ignorance. What in the world was the Singapore Tourism Board thinking when they decide to hold a foreign festival in Singapore and then cancelled the most fundamental part of the festival?

I’m all for conserving water but what’s a Songkran festival without water? That’s like chicken rice without the chicken! Water conservation and the Songkran festival do not go together. If Singapore want to conserve water, then just cancel the Songkran. After all, who want to eat chicken rice without the chicken?  

No comments: