Friday, May 9, 2014

Ridiculous!


The Dorchester Collection, owned by the Sultan of Brunei, is facing boycotts after the Sultan of Brunei passed a change to the penal code, calling for gays to be stoned to death. The Sultan passed a law that increased the penalty for committing a homosexual act in Brunei from a 10-year prison sentence to death by stoning.

The gay community in America somehow thinks that act by the Sultan of Brunei is wrong and is now boycotting the Dorchester Collection which has hotels in London, Paris, Rome, Milan, Geneva and Los Angeles. As Brunei is just next door to Singapore, I must say I find the American “gay boycott” of a Brunei-owned hotel chain to be absolutely and totally ridiculous.

Who the hell are Americans and Europeans to tell the Sultan of Brunei what laws he can and cannot put in place in Brunei? Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei, is very popular in his country and this law is very welcomed by the people of Brunei. So how are gays and lesbians in America, most of who would have problem pointing out Brunei on a map before this, in any position to say anything about laws in Brunei?

Hell, I’m a Singaporean. I’m against stoning on principal. Singapore is almost next door to Brunei and I don’t say anything because I know I have no right to. I wasn’t born in Brunei, I wasn’t raised there, and I have never step foot there. Who the hell am I to say anything?

Likewise, who the hell are gays and lesbians in America to say anything? Have these people ever even been in Brunei? Then shut the hell up!

2 comments:

theonion said...

Why so surprised.

Those of the same ilk here as those in the USA will demand the same rights and more once they deem themselves sufficiently influential.

Just look at some of the writers of blogs here.

Ghost said...

If only these people would understand the simple fact that people in the world are different and we all have different values. This is a very popular move in Brunei so who the hell are Americans to complain about it.