Tuesday, September 1, 2015

All Seats Are In Contest

The nominations are done and for the first time since independence 50 years ago, the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) will face a fight from opposition candidates in all parliamentary seats. 89 seats are on offer this year and all of them will be contested. 

Although the PAP will return to power on Sept. 11, I must say I'm kind of surprise by the fact that all the seats are contested in this election. The PAP has the feel-good factor this time with Singapore's 50th birthday last month and even the sympathy vote with the death of the late Lee Kuan Yew. As such, I didn't think all the seats will be contested this round. This didn't happen even in the last election when the mood for the opposition was much better. 

I guess maybe the opposition parties know something I don't. Hopefully...

No comments: